Re: Hybrid 7 OFTC IRC Daemon - experimental package

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 01:07:29PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> What about UNKLINE? That stayed unfixed for absolutely ages

See before, RE: people who would rather complain on IRC than actually
tell me about bugs. A very irritating habit.

> my point is that you considered that release-quality code

Actually, I didn't. Well, not if you substitute
"production-quality". But we were in serious trouble with the existing
ircu codebase, and there was only one real way to make further
progress towards a stable service.

> As for johnson, surely you had access to change the topic, no?

No. I have never been involved in the general administration of the
network; I have refused most attempts to grant me direct access to
such things.

> My point is that I fear for people using this on other networks. Not
> only is its code of questionable quality (it started off as hybrid6, and
> then went rapidly downhill from there), but you're rarely forthcoming on
> anything. If OPN staff can't even communicate with you to find out
> what's going on (like when you rolled back to ircu), how the hell are
> people from *different* IRC networks going to do so?

By sending mail. I don't generally bother with people on IRC who (such
as yourself) have wasted a great deal of my time in the past; the
decision on whom is worth my spending time dealing with is *mine*, and
is unrelated to the group that constituted OPN/Freenode staff.

And that's about all I have to say on the subject; someday I'll get
around to writing up an accurate history of what really happened
behind the scenes back then. There was much more going on than most
people imagined.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK