Re: Terminal Services (w/ message)

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:39:18AM -0400, Matthew C. Tedder wrote:

> Has any work been done on terminal services for Debian?

> I use LTSP but noticed that a lot of work could be done in terms of making
> various desktop applications more friendly with X.  Since my business depends
> on this, I was interested in hearing about more work being done in terms of
> desktop Debian.

> Any information about anyone currently working on support for terminal
> services on Debian GNU/Linux would be greatly appreciated.

Packages are available for LTSP, including one for the LTSP NFS root
itself.  I don't recall if these are available within Debian proper; I
think I downloaded most of them from elsewhere (they were binary only,
for starters).  I'm not particularly satisfied with the packaging
approach used, since I would much prefer to be able to manage the
contents of the NFS root directly with dpkg.  However, running
debootstrap in a postinst gave me problems when I told it to *not* use
the noninteractive debconf frontend...  I would rather like to be able
to configure the packages being installed in the chroot... :)

I haven't poked at it much in a while, but if there's interest, I can
gather up my working directory and post it somewhere for others to hack
on.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer