Re: PATH setting used by dpkg to run postinstall scripts?

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:37:30PM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
> on our systems we sometime have local software that may have commands
> with the same name as debian commands....i.e. I have noticed that
> certain packages fail to install if they rely on the external
> PATH settings...granted on most pure debian systems this is not
> a problem but....shouldn't the post install scripts set the PATH or
> better yet dpkg?

dpkg assumes that if you override the system utilities in root's PATH,
then you have good reason to do so and want dpkg to use your versions.

Changing this assumption would have more harmful consequences than
good ones, I think.

Richard Braakman