Re: RFC: OpenLDAP and TLS/SSL

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 07:11:52PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Luca Barbieri wrote:
> > This is an another problem that would be easily and compatibly solved by
> > my ELF extension (until the library gets properly fixed upstream).
> Yes and no. Versioned symbols are here NOW and can be used NOW, and they fix
> the issue cleanly without drawbacks:  they are as painful as a
> do-it-only-once global soname increase (which is quite painful though).

If "versioned symbols" means including the versions of the dependencies
in the SONAME, the biggest drawback I see is that it using it will
render all libraries binary-incompatible with programs / libraries
developed elsewhere... or have I missed something?

In the sense of "being a widely-adopted standard", versioned symbols are
*not* here now.

Panu