Re: Registering 'debconf.com' for future conferences

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 07:30:18AM +0200, Sebastian Rittau wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:56:24AM +1000, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
>
> > With talk of the next DebConfs (the event, not the software!) starting
> > to happen, and while looking for a decent URL to use for the upcoming
> > Debian Mini-Conf which I'm organising in Perth/AU next year, I thought
> > I'd register 'debconf.com' to use for this and other Debian events.
>
> Please don't use the .com domain. Debian is not a commercial project,
> and this could mislead some people. (And it just "feels" wrong.)

	Agreed. Use the .org domain and maybe add a pointer saying:

"If you are looking for the debconf program look for it here:
http://packages.debian.org/debconf";

	That way there is no doubt this is about the conference, I'm
positive the debconf maintainers don't want to setup a .org domain, as a
matter of fact there is no dpkg.org domain.
	In any case, I wonder if 'debconf.debian.org' is better for this
purpose... web pages could be handled by the WWW CVS, after all we already
have http://www.debian.org/events/. I'm sorry if this sounds like
centralization, but I prefer to have things in places I know backups are
often done and machines we have control over :)

	Regards

	Javi