Re: Menu system rewrite update (Aug 1 2002)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> Not a lot to report in the past week.  However, I have hacked on the
> code a bit to (hopefully) handle already-localized entries a tad
> better and improve the category assignment.  The code is at:
>
> http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/~cnlawren/debmenu/
Comment on this:

snipped from http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/~cnlawren/debmenu/parse_menus.py:

    # Definitely need more work here for other Debian menu bits - notably hints
    if section == 'Apps/Shells':
        # XXX: Is shell in the spec?
        cats.extend(['System', 'Shell', 'Utility'])
    elif section[:11] == 'Apps/System':
        cats.append('System')
    elif section[:8] == 'Apps/Net':
        cats.append('Network')
    elif section == 'Apps/Math':

I would not like to have this hardcoded into the script itself or at least
not in this hard to maintain style.  I would prefer a kind of loop over
a list of entries and put this list of entries on top of the code for the
first testing stage.  Later on it might be separated to a kind of config
file which is parsed by the script.

(Perhaps I missed the point and this is just the code for translating
old menus and so there is no need for further change.  In this case just
ignore the comment.)

Just my 2 Euro Cent

         Andreas.