Re: Some important packages have been orphaned

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 06:19:35PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Actually I used the BTS system for reporting gcc bugs. See bugs 6910 and
> 6911 or Debian Bugs 147145 and 148529 (respectively). The gcc BTS bugs
> <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl> are linked with the Debian
> BTS bug entries.

For anyone who was reading this thread, I probably should point out
that 6910/147145 is a non-bug.

The GNAT supplied library dynamic_tables allocates memory use low level C
malloc/realloc functions, hence it will not work for controlled Ada
types (as they will not be initialized). (horrible coding
practise if you ask me.)

Unfortunately, I cannot close the upstream GCC bug, so I tried
sending a message to the maintainers instead (not sure if this
worked...).

I probably should not close the debian bug until the upstream
bug is closed.

So now, the old version of gnat has one bug (renames clause
breaks controlled types) that has been confirmed by the maintainer
(IIRC). This is easy to work around by replacing renames with :=.

The new version of gnat also has one bug: sin, cos, etc are broken and do
not work.

I gather that the newer version of gnat must have other problems
too, because I have been told it fails the tests, but I haven't
encountered any other problems myself.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>