Re: Christian Marillat, once again

Marek Habersack <grendel@debian.org> writes:

> This is not a problem at all, Thomas. Fortunately, the problem with package
> naming applies (mostly) to the, so-called, "core" packages - like the panel,
> nautilus etc. It does not exist as far as the libraries are concerned -
> thus, if a GNOME1 package is not a "core" one it can safely and easily
> co-exist with the GNOME2 environment just by having the GNOME1 libraries
> around.

Is this true for the instant case, which involves

1) having multiple configuration settings for the same variables, and
2) the failure of the package to preserve user changes
?

The Debian policy guide says that you must preserve customizations.
It's not an option, and Christian's handling of gnome packages gives
NO attention to this requirement.  I've *never* seen him *ever* do
*anything* to preserve customizations.  If the new package happens to
continue to work, great; if not, then he just says "the world is new,
tough luck".  It's PATHETIC and it NEEDS TO CHANGE.

At the *very least* he needs to leave the bug reports open (dammit)
until the bugs are FIXED.

> As far as the "core" packages are concerned the only problem is
> migration - preserving the user configuration. As far as I know, this issue
> is going to be addressed by the upstream somewhere after .2 minor
> release.

Nope, it's now permanently broken.  Adding this later does not help
those who have already upgraded, which, according to Joe Drew was the
goal--encouraging people to use the newer program to test it.

The result of the test is that it's missing configuration upgrades.
And when I report that bug, Christian *closes* the report, with no
real comment or explanation.

> Replacing the "core" packages (which are what actually forms the
> "environment") is, IMHO, quite OK as long as they preserve (at least to some
> degree) the user's configuration, which should happen sometime in the near
> future.

"preserve to some degree" is not what the policy manual says, and
preserve is something that has to happen *when the new packages are
replaced*, not at some point later.  Once it's later, it's *too late*
to preserve the customizations.

Thomas