Re: Linux Kernel lincenses and binary modules

W liście z śro, 12-06-2002, godz. 23:18, DEEvans pisze:
> In Richard Stallman's response to Joe Barr back in May, he mentioned the
> existence of binary-only drivers that had been shipped with the Linux
> kernel since version 2.x.  What are the implications of the existence of
> the drivers on the Debian Social Contract, considering that Debian seems
> to be shipping drivers that violate the GPL of the kernel, (depending on
> who's arguing)?  What is Debian's official position in this regard?

AFAIR Linus stated at least two thighs that differ real kernel license
from "standard" GPL (as if there could be any non-standard GPL ;-) :
1. Binary modules are *OK*
2. Linux kernel is licensed ONLY under GPL v2, not any later or
previous.

Both statments (if they're treated as official and powerful - they
were such AFAIR) alter original GPL2.

So there's no problem because Linux kernel is not really under GPL2 ;-)

BTW: Do you want to start another flame war? don't you? 8)

Regards

					Grzegorz Prokopski

PS: There was many times a lot of discussion on lkml - for those
intersted reading kernel traffic from last 2 months should give
some pointers. In short opinions differ, but it seems that what
Linus stated bacame the law :-)
PSS: I am not debian official of any kind (in case you thought so)