Re: [DB] is there a free Oracle API [was Re: what about Database?]

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 05:29:01PM -0500, Alex Lau wrote:
> Colin Watson :
> >Packages only need to go into contrib if they *depend* on non-free
> >software. Merely happening to have support for non-free software if it's
> >available (loading plugins on demand, for instance) isn't a problem, and
> >as I understand it dbishell is an example of the latter.
>
> Ah... That will be great, so if my software link to open & close
> database , as long as my software is open, it will be able to go into
> offical? (contrib or main or non-free)

If it literally links to non-free software, then that tends to mean it
won't run without the non-free software installed, so no. That would
have to go into contrib.

If it simply allows a non-free plugin to be used if available, but
doesn't ship anything non-free itself, and is useful when only free
software is installed, then it's fine for main.

> Just wondering, because the case of netbeans didn't get in. (because
> of the vm? )

That sounds like a completely different case. Free Java programs that
won't run with free virtual machines have to go in contrib.