Re: dpkg can't remove directories

In linux.debian.devel, you wrote:

> I'm working on a package that installs some files in
> directories underneath /etc/<pkgname>/skel.
>
> When I remove the package, dpkg complains that it can't remove
> some of the directories because they're not empty.

I'm getting more confused.  Doing a --purge after the --remove
(which failed) _does_ remove all of the files.  However if I do
a --purge without doing --remove first, then it won't work:

 dpkg -i         [OK]
 dpkg --remove   [warnings about non-empty directories]
 dpkg --purge    [OK]

 dpkg -i      [OK]
 dpkg --purge [warnings about non-empty directories]

Not only does dpkg decline to remove some of the files, but
afterwards seems confused about what files are actually on the
system:

  debian:~# dpkg --remove tmpfs-support
  dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove tmpfs-support, only the config
   files of which are on the system.  Use --purge to remove them too.

Now dpkg claims only the config files are left. But, if I ask
for a list of files, it shows a bunch of them and only the last
one is a config file:

  debian:~# dpkg -L tmpfs-support
  /etc/init.d/tmpfs-support.sh
  /etc/cron.daily/tmpfs-support
  /etc/tmpfs-support
  /etc/tmpfs-support/skel
  /etc/tmpfs-support/skel/var
  /etc/tmpfs-support/skel/var/log
  /etc/tmpfs-support/skel/var/log/wtmp
  /etc/tmpfs-support/skel/var/run
  /etc/tmpfs-support/skel/var/run/utmp
  /etc/tmpfs-support/config

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Psychoanalysis?? I
                                  at               thought this was a nude