Re: Proposal for fixing automake (was Re: State of automake packages)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 01:54:11PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > > Hmm.. it's not an alternative if it is not compatible.
> > > It's like bison and yacc, gpc and gcc.
> >
> > Well to some degree they are compatible. I think a better analogy
> > would be the various vi clones. They all sort of do the same things,
> > but they are not necessarily compatible.
>
> I had an impression that newer version of automake required
> newer version of autoconf, which was nowhere near compatible.

It's compatibile for most things.  There are a few thou-shalt-nots which
cause the new version to be broken, but they're easily fixed in almost all
cases.  They just require someone to actually do the fixing.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>          I swallowed your goldfish

* bma_home gropes you
<bma_home> "oups, wrong channel"
<bma_home> </acf>
<cerb> quit groping me
<doogie> you know you like it.
<bma_home> actually, it was "grope me baby"
<gecko-> touch my son and you die, bma ;)
<doogie> gecko-: but your wife is ok?