Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

Branden Robinson wrote:
> I don't have any specific problems with it personally.  Other people in
> this thread have been saying it's unsatisfactory, IIRC.

I haven't seen any unresolved problems, which is why I asked.

> Ideally, I want:
>
> 1) a command that searches $PATH for an executable of the given name,
> ignoring aliases and shell functions

No worse than command -v anyway.

> 2) a command that with a flag can be told not to spew any output under
> any circumstances (a la grep -qs)

Which seems marginally better here, though I am still redirecting stderr
and stdout to /dev/null just in case.

> 3) a command that doesn't demand that we declare dependencies or
> pre-dependencies on a package just so we can use it our maintainer
> scripts

Check.

> Needless to say, even command -v is not ideal in my opinion.  It just
> appears to be better than the existing alternatives.

command -v seems worse or equal to which.

--
see shy jo