Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 08:36:02PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002 12:37:40 +0200
> Renaud Guerin <rguerin@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > I got wondering, how one should go about rebuilding from source a whole
> > debian installation in a similar way ?
> > Anybody did this before, or are there any significant hurdles that prevent
> > automating this process ?
>
> pbuilder is designed for this purpose.
>
> In summary: Debian does not build from source in woody, quite yet.
> But we are getting mostly there.
> I welcome people trying to rebuild packages from source.

It would be nice one day if you /could/ rebuild the entirety of Debian.  I
think one way of getting this to work is rebuilding old packages during
autobuilder idle time.  If I understand correctly, for each uploaded
package, it will only be built once for each arch.  If the packages are
slowly rebuilt automatically, it will catch non-buildable source and
policy violations if it's old and not updated for years.

> You should be able to use pentium-builder package and
> pbuilder together to build athlon-optimized Debian,
> for example. But I have not gotten that far yet.
> I'm making a very slow progress...

Last November, I tried an upgrade from potato to sid entirely from source.
After two weekends spent continuously compiling and installing packages, I
got completely stuck (~250 packages in) due to:
1. unsatisfiable circular build-depends
2. non-buildable packages
3. unsatisfiable build-depends as a consequence of 1 and 2.

Unless you are autobuilding sid, continuously, then you will find that it
is very difficult to build the entire archive, IME.

When I get 160 GiB of new HDD space (within a few days), I'm going to try
bootstrapping an i686 arch and set up an autobuilder to build an i686
woody once woody is released.  This may prove beyond my capabilities, but
should be interesting.  Possibly the autobuilder will be able to build
what I could not if it can calculate all the Build-Deps.

--
Roger Leigh
                ** Registration Number: 151826, http://counter.li.org **