Re: HURD/Linux/BSD* ... Loosing focus.

[ Luca's message trimmed ]

Just for the record, and speaking as one of the few folks who appear to be
actively involved with the Debian GNU/NetBSD (i386) port (as opposed to the
other two *BSD ports, or the Hurd port)...

1) Some issues are generally applicable to "all non-Linux ports". Things
like the architecture field issues, et al. They're being worked on. Life
goes on. We work with hacks until we get something more elegant in place.

2) Some issues are OS-specific, but common to many/most non-Linux OSes (the
use of libexec, for example, is not ubiquitous, but it *is* common). These,
also, are dealt with, but may have workarounds that differ for each of the
OSes involved (right now, libexec Just Exists on the NetBSD port, as a
recognized problem which will be resolved before asking to become a release
arch; whether that is by moving it, amending the FHS, amending Policy, or
whatever).

3) Some issues are OS-specific to only one or two OSes. This would be stuff
like the /hurd issue. Since the ports I'm actively working on don't have
many/any of these at the moment, I don't think I can usefully comment on
this.

4) It can be frustrating in the extreme when issues which will not even
remotely touch Woody are delayed due to the Woody release... but when other
things which are more "mainstream" and also don't affect Woody are going in
"in record time", as some developers have reported. Maybe there is a good
reason for it, maybe not; nobody has spoken up about it, and I still think
that the problems with non-transparent processes, particularly those of
the FTP master group, have repeated shown up in the past month or two as
causing... issues.

5) Be careful of who you listen to on what topics. I can't speak for the
two other active NetBSD port folks, but I know that *I* haven't said some
of the things that have been bandied about by folks 'on behalf of the *BSD
ports'. We certainly do have issues; some of them need resolution. And, as
always, some people are prone to being more tactful than others (I seem to
bat about 20% at being so, myself, around here; I'm trying to remember to
keep my mouth shut more often).

6) Expect some ftp-master and wnpp filings for NetBSD as soon as my maint
application finishes. The FreeBSD port has already reached that state; the
NetBSD one is still mostly running off of a personal server, until we have
at least one of the core folks with DD status (sponsors are nice, but it
helps if the sponsor is also actively involved in the porting effort).

7) There is no #7. I'm going to go back to work now. See you all in the
archives.