Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sat, 18 May 2002 10:07:41 -0300
"Henrique de Moraes Holschuh" <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> Maybe small parts of the FHS cause trouble for the Hurd; these could be
> changed for Debian. HOWEVER, Debian GNU/Hurd is *not* to be GNU/Hurd
> with Debian packages.  It is to be a _Debian_ system with the Hurd
> kernel.  So, whatever isn't kernel-specific IS supposed to be the same.
> If being"Hurdish" is more important to you than being "Debianish", then
> as far as*I* am concerned, you are welcome to fork the project, and go
> away.

You would have to drag me kicking and screaming.

> If you cannot agree to that, and do notice I never said we shouldn't
> change a few things on the way the filesystem is currently laid out in
> the Debian GNU/Linux side of things (FHS or no FHS), then you will be in
> for a very rough ride.

And if Debian is commited to the LINUX Standards Base, do you expect
Debian GNU/hurd and Debian *bsd(s) to also comply to the LINUX Standards
Base ?

To be practical we have to respect each others differences, to a certain
extent anyway.

I think Hurd people are getting a rough ride, but their strugle is making
debian better, i applaud their stamina.

> I will love the day I can simply switch kernels on a Debian GNU/* system
> and not notice any changes in userlevel land, other than the tools that
> need to interact directly to the kernel.  I acknowledge that some
> changes must be made to Debian to do so, and that it must become less
> linux-specific. And I am ready to take my share of pain and work for
> that to become reality.

Ive never even considered that it might be possible, i would also love to
see that day.

Glenn