Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:02:34PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> you propose to add 'some' diff files for all files on ftp-master.d.o?
>
> With rsync we need only one rsync-checksum file per normal file and
> all apt's need only download the neededs parts.
>
> You get the point?

With the standard rsync algorithm, the rsync checksum files would actually
be 8 times larger than the original file (you need to store the checksum
for each possible block in the file).

What you are suggesting is that the server store checksums for precalculated
blocks on the server. This would be 4 bytes per 1k in the original file or
so. The transaction proceeds as follows:

1. Client asks for checksum list off server
2. Client calculates checksums for local file
3. Client compares list of server with list of client
4. Client downloads changed regions.

Note, this is not the rsync algorithm, but the one that is possibly
patented.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/