Re: Scripts in /etc/init.d Question and Comment.

On Sun, 07 Apr 2002, JPS wrote:
> `/etc/init.d'. Every once in a while I attempt to execute one of these
> scripts while logged in as a non-root user. For example, I might type

The problem is, the initscript should actually check if it has the rights it
needs, if it is to do what you want...  this is not always easy, or
possible.  Do recall that we will have SE linux in Debian somewhat soon, and
checking just for rootness is not enough there.

Anyway, it is a good idea to add such a test to the initscript, when it is
simple to do so, yes.  Maybe we should add a footnote to policy with a
strong hint that people do exactly that?   And that failure to start the
daemon/create the files/cd to a root-only directory/etc should be handled
gracefully, probably...

  Henrique Holschuh