Re: Bloated package file (Was: Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar)

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 10:44:11AM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 04:18:13PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> >
> > Are the algoritms used in apt/dpkg ever optimized? Maybe that could
> > also be a problem.
>
> I don't like the way Packages in handled. That's what the problem is
> and not necessarly the rest of dpkg.

Well, we could fix that and then optimize the algoritms. ;-)

> > > As to all the people wanderring why the hell I started this thing
> > > for the ITP of the calendar; I guess it's the straw that broke the
> > > camel's back. Patato->Woody more that doubled the number of
> > > packages right now. It went from fine to horrible upgrade
> > > on a 486. Woody+1 has to have much  better support for low end
> > > systems or we might as well go the "Corporate Way" and have
> > > 64-128M req. mem. [or at least sizeof(Packages)<<2]
> >
> > Why is the "corporate way" requiring 64-128 MB?
>
> I'm referring the the trend in the industry when it comes to hardware
> req. For example, you can't find a new game with a lower min. req.

Yes, but you don't want a 2D game in the resolution 320x200 if you can
have a 3D game at 1024x768 or higher. :)

> True, not all programs are suited for a low end machine, but
> at least the base should be.

Yes, that's why dpkg and apt should be fixed IMHO.

> > I think you provided the wrong solution in your mail: not accepting
> > mencal. IMHO the real solution is making apt/dpkg better.
>
> Yes, but the camel goes off on the straw that broke its back and not
> the stuff that's already there!

Yes, it's a common thing. If you want to solve a problem you should
look at its causes, it's something a lot of people do wrong.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org