lm_sensors and alsa for _not_ custom built kernel?

Hello,

Building a custom kernel and after that building and installing the
lm-sensors and alsa-driver module packages works very well, using for
example make-kpkg. I've done so on an SMP box several times running
unstable.

However, on another box I'm running testing with precompiled kernels
installed. One kernel installed is 2.4.18-686, version 2.4.18-4. How
are you supposed to proceed if you want to build the modules packages
for that kernel? Using make-kpkg seems to always require 'make
menuconfig', make-kpkg kernel_image, etc before you can build the
modules_image. Also, the modules built are for the custom kernel _not_
the already installed prebuilt one!

Trying to build the modules from the kernel-source directory using
make-kpkg fails, and also directly from the installed modules
directory, eg from /usr/src/modules/lm-sensors/ with 'debian/rules
binary-modules KVERS=2.4.18-686 KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18'

Installing the kernel-headers for 2.4.18-686 does not help at all. I
just would like to add the modules to the already installed kernel,
preferably by installing a .deb package. Pointers or input are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Svante Signell