Re: Cryptographic software in main archive

(Public followup since this'll probably come up again. Discussion should
probably go to debian-legal@lists.debian.org)

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 09:20:03PM +0100, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:
> > 	* There are a whole bunch of GPLed programs that link against
> > 	  libssl. This isn't okay, see the OpenSSL FAQ's response:
> > 	      http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2
> > 	  We've been lax about this in the past, we'll try to get this
> > 	  right as packages are uploaded to main.
>   2. Can I use OpenSSL with GPL software?
>   On many systems including the major Linux and BSD distributions, yes
>   (the GPL does not place restrictions on using libraries that are part
>   of the normal operating system distribution).

Sorry, this isn't precisely accurate on the OpenBSD folks part. The GPL
allows you to use this exception "unless [the library] accompanies the
executable" which it would if the executable were allowed into main. It's
the exact same situation we had with KDE/Qt.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
       toe individually.'' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey