Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

>>"Warren" == Warren Stramiello <warren@stramiello.net> writes:

 Warren> *Does* the library have the right to censor books it finds
 Warren> filthy or inappropriate? I was under the impression they do
 Warren> indeed have that power... at the very least, I don't recall
 Warren> the last time the library near me carried the latest issue of
 Warren> penthouse...

	Hmm. Public libraries _do_ have to pander to the4 first
 amendment, down where _I_ live.

 Warren> Trying to stir up passions by comparing snipping racist
 Warren> remarks from source to the image of a torch-waving book
 Warren> burning (and the implicit link to nazism) doesn't strike me
 Warren> as a good analogy... the request that the racist material be
 Warren> snipped, or that it be shot off into a -offensive package (a
 Warren> la fortune) is several steps removed from demanding that the
 Warren> author's package be srm'd, following by the shredding of any
 Warren> drive platters it's touched...

	Ok. I find all vi packages to be an offense to my
 sensibilities. I also find the bible, the display-dhamapada, and any
 packages with a reference to beef offensivce. I find references to
 Jesus, Vishnu, and Mohammed offensive (please feel free to add icons
 of other religions I may have missed).

	I also find python offensive. I am not sure about ruby yet.

 Warren> I may be way off base, but I think it's fair to file a bug
 Warren> request pointing out the offensive nature of the racist
 Warren> material in the package, asking that it be considered for
 Warren> splitting into -normal and -offensive... what the maintainer
 Warren> chooses to do is his own decision, though, and I don't think
 Warren> anything short of a resolution of some sort could force the
 Warren> change upon it (but I would have to look up the rules before
 Warren> I say for certain what can and cannot be forced).

	Heh. Please prepare for a mass bug filing, then.

	manoj
--
 "Is it just me, or does there seem to be an inordinate number of
 lurkers whose heads are imploding lately?  Maybe all these