Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

[ removing the cross-posting nonsense ]

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 12:15:37PM +0800, Crispin Wellington wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 02:04, Lazarus Long wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:47:25AM -0700, Adam Conrad wrote:
> >  >

No it does not.  Debian-junior is a sub-project.

> > stands, your package is inappropriate to be on the box my daughter uses.

Then don't install it there.  Simple!

On a side note: the way one develops a thick skin is through the creation
of scar-tissue.

> It has been said that racism continues to thrive when good people choose
> to do nothing. Speaking out against this is the imperative of all good
> people.

There is a great deal of difference between speaking out and taking action.
Taking action in the form of censorship should not be considered lightly.
There are far worse things than racism; one of them is censorship, for it
leads to ignorance, which can easily spawn racism.

The current situation seems relatively harmless.  The joke sucks, but that's
not a crime.  Personally I think people pull out the "racism" card entirely
too much; it is almost as bad as using the ad hominem, in a reasonable
debate.  In fact I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how the joke
reflects poorly on African-Americans.  And if we are going to go so far
as to call it racist, then perhaps we should call it "familyist" too since
it mentions that---or it could be biased against stretch limos even.

I am not pro-racism; I am anti-censorship.  It is very easy to make blanket
statements such as "Everyone should speak out against racism" but what do
you say when it comes down to "Racism should be censored"?

I think it just goes to show that nothing is just black or white.

(was that a racist statement? or just a stupid pun? ;)

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.