Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 16:32, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 13-Mar-2002 Chris wrote:
> > You are kidding right?  IRC is extremely inappropriate for a child to
> > use, period.  You are way off base, your perspective is badly skewed
> > and I fear for the safety of your daughter online.  I wish her the
> > best of luck with such poor guidance to grow with.
> >

> And if she is in the room while he is using it?  Gets a little older and tries
> it out herself?

Hmm.  First, I would think that the child could be locked out of
inappropriate programs (or, more likely, only allowed to access
appropriate programs).

Second, I know that by the time my sister (10 years), who isn't dumb or
computer illiterate, figures out how to work IRC, she'll have already
heard a lot worse phrases in school.  ~,^

> Could there be a way to have a -unclean version?  Let the people who want the
> humour ask for it, like we do with the fortunes.

That would be nice.  But how easy is it to do that with a script or
program?  I suppose they'd have to be patched?  Is there policy against
that?