Re: long daemon outages on upgrade

doogie@debian.org (Adam Heath) writes:

> bind does not use start-stop-daemon, so yes, bind should just do the restart
> thing.

There's some confusion here, apparently.

The 'bind' packages which deliver version 8.X bits have been hand-holding the
daemon restart in the postinst to minimize downtime since version 8.2.2p5-2
uploaded in November of 1999.  I introduced a bug into this by accident a
while back that LaMont fixed for our 8.3.1-1 upload, so if it's not doing the
right thing now that's a new bug.

It appears that I never implemented the daemon restart hand-holding code for
the bind9 packages which deliver version 9.X bits.  Adding it seems like a
good idea.  I'll file a wishlist bug against bind9 asking for it so that I
don't forget about it the next time I upload.

A fully generalized solution to the problem of daemons being down a long time
during upgrades implemented with suitable debhelper options would be good,
but I won't wait for it to address this in bind9.

Bdale