sendmail: source requires an argument

Hope this is not a FAQ.  I've been reading debian-devel, and
I haven't noticed it.

The logcheck script occasionally produces standard output
(or standard error) to the cron process that calls it.  By
inserting echo statements into the logcheck script, I was
able to determine that the output to cron comes from
logcheck's invocation of 'mail'.  Indeed I get the same
output by doing the following.

 prompt $ cat .bashrc | mail -s .bashrc username

sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"
sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"
sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"
sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"
source requires an argument
sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"
sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"
sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"
sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"
sendmail="sendmail:/usr/sbin/sendmail"

Am I just some kind of idiot?  What's going on here.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan
Ball Aerospace, Boulder