Re: distributable but non-free documents

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 16:45, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Jules Bean <jules@jellybean.co.uk> writes:
>
> > 1b) Debian makes a moral stand on free software.  Not free licenses,
> > or free books, or free tea, or free beer, or free-for-all wrestling,
> > with all their various meanings of free.
>
> While some might think free beer is essential to free software, they
> would be deluded.
>
> However, free documentation *is* essential to free software.

If I recall, the original issue was about some RFC documents.  I would
have thought it was essential that such things, which define the
standards we all use, should be protected from unauthorised amendments.
Or do you want Microsoft to issue new versions?...

     "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure,
      pressed down, taken together and running over,
      will be poured into your lap. For with the same
      measure that you use, it will be measured to
      you."         Luke 6:38