Re: feedback wanted alternative Debian installation system

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:53:50PM +0200, Dmitry Borodaenko wrote:
> > Our team is now in deep QA mode, so I can't spare a single machine to
> > test PGI on real hardware. Is there any way to dry-run in isolated
> > environment?
>
> You could try VMWare, but I haven't tested this since I don't own a copy
> of it.

Not to plug VMware (I'm in no way connected to them besides owning a copy
of VMware Workstation), but it does work as advertised.  I have run VMs of
the Hurd, Solaris x86, FreeBSD, and most of the x86-based Linux - it's
fantastic for testing boot floppies and anything where you have to reboot
a lot, and I do all of my Debian dev work in one instead of using a change
root.

The networking is pretty slick; you can setup virtual switches and let
your VMs talk to each other on separate network segments (each VM can have
up to 3 "virtual" Ethernet interfaces, one of which can be bridged to your
host machines interface).  You can also even test X apps effectively, as
the VM can run it's own copy of X and window manager.  The product is a
little pricey, and you have to pay (a discounted rate) for upgrades.

YMMV, but for me, it was a cheaper and more environment friendly that
buying another PC.  You'll want to have plenty of RAM and a fair amount of
CPU if you want to run more than a couple VMs simultaneously.  I only use
Linux as my host OS, so I can't speak to running a VM inside of Win32 (but
it *seems* like a bad idea... :)  You can get a 30 day trial license from
VMware's website - http://www.vmware.com/

tony

Pig: An animal (Porcus omnivorous) closely allied to the human race by the
splendor and vivacity of its appetite, which, however, is inferior in scope,
for it balks at pig.
    -- Ambrose Bierce