Re: Complied into debs please (Python/Emacs packagers take note)

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 02:19:49PM +0000, Lazarus Long wrote:

> What is the point of pre-compiling C code before packaging it into .debs?
> If you can answer that, apply that answer to Python code.

This is bait.  Python code does not need to be compiled and linked ahead of
time in order to be run.

(the fact that your message was sent to -user as well was also ill
behavior...crossposting is to be avoided, see the mailing list code of
conduct)

> Subverting the Debian package management system seems a bit odd for a
> Debian package to do, yet this is the impression I get from each Python
> package I install here.  (Emacs packages tend toward the same stupidity,
> and this is why I try very hard to avoid installing python or emacs
> packages on most of the machines I administer.)

A quick search of the archives would probably clear up your confusion.
Consider that in order to build all necessary .elc files for an elisp
package, all current versions and variants of emacs must be installed at
build time.

As for python, the policy is still in flux, and constructive criticism is
hopefully welcome.  I haven't had much luck so far in convincing those
involved that things might be done differently.

I think that the practice of building N packages (one per version of python)
for every pure python add-on module is unnecessary, but if that is the way
that it is to be done, there is no reason not to do the byte-compilation at
package build time.  Having N pythons installed is annoying, but not nearly
as painful as N emacsen.

--
 - mdz