Re: should a postinst script create config files?

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 10:17:29AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> This isn't so much a problem with sshd, but once I answered Yes to
> updating /etc/squid.conf. I intended to merge in my changes.
>
> To my surprise and horror, this not only set my cache size to a tiny
> 100Megs (IIRC), but also automatically started squid, and squid proceeded
> to purge items from my cache in order to make it the reduced size. No! No!
> No! I don't wont that!
>
> Perhaps dpkg really needs an option: I want to use *that* file, but please
> let me edit it before blindly using it! Please remind me if I forget to
> edit it!

Yes, I have run into similar situations.  It would be nice if the conffile
menu had an option to replace the file, but *not* continue with
configuration of the package until the admin says that it is OK.  That would
make it easy and logical to do the merge immediately.

Of course, you can already do that by merging with .dpkg-new and then
answering 'N'.  It's just counter-intuitive to answer "leave it alone" when
you mean "give me the new file and let me edit it".

--
 - mdz