Re: should a postinst script create config files?

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 05:38:29PM +0100, Maik Busch wrote:
> is it a good way to create config files with postinst scripts? I
> allways have some machines show a different behavior because i
> installed them with different postinsts.

Possibly.  It depends.  Check out the way XF86Config-4 files are handled
with debconf.

> I think creating files in that way is very dirty and we should try to
> avoid that. They should be shipped as _real_ config files in a deb
> package.

Possibly.  It depends.  I would definitely suggest placing example
config files in /usr/share/doc/<package>/examples and making sure the
manpage for the config file is available.  i.e.
/usr/share/man/man5/package.conf.5.gz

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie@wookimus.net)