Re: It's Huntin' Season

>>"Thomas" == Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

 Thomas> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 Thomas> some sysadmin might want to hexedit ls to behave a little
 Thomas> differently; isn't it good to "give the sysadmin the choice",
 Thomas> and thus mark it a conffile?

 >> I am getting rather tired of ludicrous strawmen.

 Thomas> Well, I've said it *isn't* a strawman, and you might want to call me a
 Thomas> liar, but please don't.

	Then we have major differences of opinion here. I do not think
 that ls is a configuration option for my bash session, since ls is
 not run when I start bash.

	I think that when add on packages are installed in emacs, that
 changes the behaviour of my editor from the default upstream
 behaviour, something I may have been used to on other machines, and
 these added changes must be configurable.

	If you truly do not see the distinction, we are at an impasse.

 Thomas> You've given some bright-line principles, and applied them to
 Thomas> emacs, and said "so by these bright-line principles, the
 Thomas> files must be conffiles".  I'm presenting a
 Thomas> counterexample--one that looks outrageous (of course) so that

	My contention is that your conterexample is not one. In my
 opinion, it is a different class of animal, and bringing it up is a
 distraction in this debate.

 Thomas> it's as clear as the noonday sun that the bright-line
 Thomas> principles are the wrong ones.  If the principles argue that
 Thomas> even /bin/ls should be a conffile (as they do imply), then
 Thomas> they are the wrong principles.

	Which programs behaviour is changed by ls? Does it run on
 shell startup? Does it run without user intervention?

	I now feel nothing new is being added in this discussion.
 I'll try and not add to the volume of this list, unless it is to
 clarify my stance, or I have something new to contribute.

	manoj
--
 "When I was [in Canada] I found their jokes like their roads -- not
 very long and not very good, leading to a little tin point of a spire