Re: postgresql compilation from source...

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

thanks for the quick response!

this is my first attempt with compiling debian source, so I may have just
gotten a tougher package than most...

> I find that you generally have to edit the debian/rules file and fix the
> ./configure line there. Also, I recommend using debuild binary to do the
> build other some permissions may not come out right (fixes umask).

the problem is that the script also has mentions of python interspersed
throughout it (in the install section too).  I don't know if it's meant to
skip this part w/o errors, but editting it has caused some perl problems
now (which are fixable if I compile the Makefile.pl after it errors
out, and then proceed to buildpackages w/o cleaning).

I guess the reason why I wanted to do all of this in the first place is to
have a system of upgrading packages easily, assuming they're built the way
that I want them to be.  So far, this has been a rather disheartening
experience with my favorite linux distro :(

What's the point of compiling debianized things from source if it's not
garaunteed to work with the various combinations of compile options?

thanks!!!!!
-lev