postgresql compilation from source...

I sent the following to debian-user with no luck...mebbe someone here
could help me (tried contacting the maintainer as well).

Hello,

Could someone please point me to the documentation for building debs from
source *WITH* changes to the source (via the configure script)?

I'm trying to compile PostgreSQL from source, after having done an
"apt-get source postgresql".  After the download, dpkg-source was
automatically run.

Going into the directory:

./configure --with-perl
debian/rules build

While it seems to compile, it also later complains about missing python
(which is functionality that I *DON'T* want built in).

I can think of no other way to keep this from happening other than editing
the "debian/rules" file and removing whatever I don't like....this seems
rather half-assed, so I'm assuming there's a better way.

I've read the documentation, and the only thing I can think of, is "if you
don't like how the maintainer built it, make it yourself"...I'm REALLY
hoping that this isn't the case, and that I'm just missing something
really simple.

help?

thanks!
-lev