Re: kernel-* package names

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 12:24:27PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> Renaming kernel-* to linux-* (or kernel-linux-*) is principally a
> political issue, not a technical one.  So at the very least, this
> discussion belongs on debian-project, not here.

Excuse me, but I've to insist.

It's not a political issue, because Debian yet decided to be architecture
independent, so it is (well, soon will be) time to step from design to
implementation: and this is tecnical issue.

It's a easy, tecnical issue that can be resolved, and that will help
Debian be really architecture independent (that is more than simply
offer packages with consistent name).

I agree on the fact that we should now focus on the woody release,
though.

I'm now sitting in fromt of my box with linux for i386 and i want to
cross compile the freebsd kernel for powerpc distributed by Debian
(supposing we have or will have one), to upload and install on my old
computer.
All the kernel distribute by Debian should be available to any user, and
must have significant name.

A virtual package named kernel-image, which depends on the real
kernel package will fits our need for backward compatibility (as someone
other stated on a previous email).

cheers,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$