Re: openssh version info bug or feature ?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

> Paul Hampson writes:
>

> >> I'd just worry that existing network audits will be thrown off
> >> by changing the version. I _do_ think we should change the
> >> version when we release a security fix, though. Or when we make
> >> major changes (not sure if we do for ssh).
> >
> > That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
> >
> > Will you (or someone else) be submitting a bugreport against
> > ssh to that effect?
>
> I haven't, though I'm cc'ing the ssh maintainer, Matthew Vernon, on this.
> I'm not quite sure if ssh follows the above or not, so I don't want to file
> a bug. At least not until verifying it doesn't follow it.

Currently, Debian maintains quite a significant diff from upstream ssh (we
have several new options, and there are moves afoot for futher features);
whilst upstream remain as obstructive about accepting patches as they
currently are, this situation is likely to remain. Accordingly, I decided
that our ssh banner should reflect this.

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."