Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:59:08PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > I am not so sure about specifying --build and --host unconditionally, but
> > you gave good arguments and I am not aware of a situation were it would
> > reasonably fail.
>
> And as always, the 0.1% of the packages that need to do it differently can
> simply do so -- their maintainers should have no problems at all convincing
> us about that, if it is indeed true.

Ok, I asked RMS, who is responsible for such things (at least whenever he
likes to be :).  There might be some issues with some packages if you
specify --build although you are not actually cross compiling.

So, the recommended way is to do

$ifeq ($(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE), $(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)
  confflags += $(DEB_HOT_GNU_TYPE)
else
  confflags += --build $(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE) --host $(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)
endif

Of course, if the latter works for a package, there is no harm in doing so.
But people should always be aware of the possibility to discriminate on
that.

About all other things in your reply: I agree, good idea, more power to you,
and let me know if I can be of help :)  [Indeed I think that lintian can be
of help, at least to gather the raw data]

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de