Re: Trying to fix slang

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 03:52:32AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> I've been looking at slang problems today, and
> I've modified the system slightly to make utf-8 version of
> slang1, to have a different soname, libslang.so.1-UTF8
> I have uploaded a NMU candidate at incoming/DELAYED/3-day,
> but please check if it does not break anything.
> It should be binary-compatible with the previous versions
> of non-utf8 binaries.

> This should fix most problems that currently exist in
> many packages, and removes the necessity to divert.

If the NMU'ed utf8 slang is binary-compatible with the non-utf8
library, why is diverting a bad thing?  It seems to me that most of the
prior problems were because slang-utf8 was *not* compatible, or not
functional; if this has been addressed, I would prefer that all
slang-based software on my system be able to automatically take
advantage of utf8 support without a recompile.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer