Re: Somebody must package djvulibre

I looked into packaging this at one time and decided that there wasn't
a compelling reason to do so.  IIRC, the algorithms that they
distribute aren't complete.  It doesn't include a compressor that is
on par with the patented code.  Thought I didn't test it, it seemed to
be uninteresting except for viewers.  This may be worthwhile if we are
(someone is) interesting in supporting images created on MS platforms.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 10:30:00AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Christian Hudon wrote:
>
> > IMNSHO it'd be rather pointless to release the
> > code of the reference implementation under the GPL but have it unusable
> > because it's encumbered by patents, so hopefully they thought of that
> > too.
>
> There was a discussion of this sort of question on the Ogg Vorbis list a
> few months ago. We asked Richard Stallman for his opinion of what would

[deletia]