Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

* Tomohiro KUBOTA

| I don't understand what you mean by this.  You mean, what is "wrong"?

LANG can be unset or set to POSIX, still you would be able to input
for instance Norwegian characters without problem.

| And, the output of "locale" command means what in this context?
| (Of course I understand what "locale" command outputs.)

It shows that I am able to input Norwegian (and French) characters
without configuring a locale.

| >  What you need to do is configure your keymap properly.
|
| This is wrong, because keymap is not enough for Japanese input.
| Well, you cannot configure keymap to input Japanese.

You can for most other languages.

| BTW, the contents of your mail was illegal encoding ... It
| contained my ISO-2022-JP-encoded Japanese and your 8bit
| characters (0xe6, 0xf8, 0xe5, 0xe7), though the mail header
| insists the contents is ISO-8859-1.  Of course, ISO-2022-JP-
| encoded JIS X 0208 characters in ISO-8859-1 encoding is
| illegal.

No, they are not illegal, they just don't represent what you thought
they would.  That is,  is a perfectly legal character which can be
represented using ISO-8859-1.  The other characters were ASCII.

| (I imagine your 0xe6 0xf8 0xe5 0xe7 sequence in your mail is
| intended to be ISO-8859-1, I imagined from your mail header.

Since my header shows that the body of the mail was in latin1 and I
input those character, that is a reasonable assumption.

| Thus, 0xe6 is "ae", 0xf8 is "o/", 0xe5 is "a"
| with circle, and 0xe7 is "c," .  What did you want to mean?)

In html you would represent them as æ ø å and

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.