Re: Vanishing /usr/doc symlink

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
[/usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc Symlink]
>        Some packages carefully clean up old dirs in /usr/doc; moving
> them to subdirs of /usr/share/doc/$package, and then removing
> /usr/doc/$package/ and replacing the old dir with a symbolic link.

>       All legal under current policy.

>        And all hell breaks lose if you replace /usr/doc by a link to
> /usr/share/doc.
[...]

Hello,
This might be what policy says, but:
|---- _Potato's_ release-notes ---------
| The `/usr/share/doc' directory (if it exists already) should not be a
| symlink (e.g.  to `/usr/doc'), since that will cause some packages to
| break.  However, symlinking `/usr/doc' to `/usr/share/doc' is allowed.
| Please note that if you use such a symlink there will be numerous
| messages about `/usr/doc' directories that can't be removed.  Those
| are normal, and you can safely ignore them.
|----------------------------------------

Me, ie. Joe User, thought this was as official as it could get and has
always used this symlink. I know it is not that common but I suspect
there are others like me (including Julian Gilbey) out there who
happily use this symlink.

I've never had any problems with it on potato. Now I run woody and
had iirc to report two bugs about this in the last 7 months, which
have usually been fixed promptly.
                cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest _tin_