Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 16:22, Jim Gettys wrote:
> The project has to be able to have more than one environment installed
> simultaneously, both for development, and for users, *SINCE IT JUST ISN'T
> POSSIBLE TO GET ALL APPLICATIONS MOVED SIMULTANEOUSLY*.  The scale
> of these projects is such there is no other way forward, but to enable
> both versions to be used side by side, possibly simultaneously.

I disagree completely.  If upstream doesn't support it (as they don't
seem to in the case of KDE), then we will simply ship one version.
Alternatively, we could help upstream fix their software so it is
possible (since everything involved is Free Software, we can fix it).

Nothing says, of course, that a system administrator couldn't use the
Debian GNOME 1.4 packages, but install GNOME2 in /usr/local/ or
/opt/gnome2 or whatever.

It is Debian's job to provide a consistent system to our users.  Having
multiple incompatible versions of software scattered about the system,
and forcing users to frob their $PATH to use system-installed software
is the hallmark of more broken systems.