Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:48:46PM +0000, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> 	bokmål		no_NO.ISO-8859-1
> 	français	fr_FR.ISO-8859-1
>
> I think using non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias is dodgy; it
> would break in non- ISO-8859-1 environments.

Break how? They will be display weirdly in other single byte encodings
and not be usable in multi-byte encodings. But they shouldn't _break_
anything.

> Should /etc/locales.alias have a tag describing its encoding?

Huh? How would that work? What's going to use it? What breaks
when you add something in a different charset in there? (Sure it
won't be usuable from ISO-8859-1; it will work fine from that
charset, though.)

IMO, the whole /etc/locale.alias is a bag on the side of the locale
system; I don't see why these aliases make it any worse.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,