Re: Internationalization of apt

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Michael Piefel wrote:

> Now that you got my suggested patches for the last part of i18n for apt,
> I wonder (once again): Are you going to try to get this into woody?
At least a test-suite would be great.

> If not, I plan to do something, I'm not sure what. I could NMU, but I
> don't like the thought. Instead, as a test balloon, I'd like to ITP
> something like apt-i18n. Any comments or objections?
Perhaps a apt-i18n package which

     Package: apt-i18n
     Provides: apt
     Conflicts: apt

would be a good idea to let peoply try.  I recommend building it from
the same source (I guess the patches are included yet!) just to keep
it in sync.  After some successful testing we could remove it by

     Package: apt
     Provides: apt-i18n
     Replaces: apt-i18n
     Conflicts: apt-i18n

Would be really nice to have an i18n aware apt.
And yes, I know that we had reached a certain state of freeze which
perhaps would not allow such a change.

Kind regards

        Andreas.