Libtool, plugins and static libraries

A bit of background: SDL links in the static libraries Xxf86dga,
Xxf86vm, and Xv. These are compiled without PIC information, and on many
architectures PIC and non-PIC libraries can't be combined. Branden
Robinson (among others) solved this problem by linking shared plugins
(which this mail concerns) with new, PIC-compiled versions of these
libraries.

The package in question, smpeg-xmms, is a plugin (.so) for xmms which
plays MPEG files using the SMPEG library. It also uses libtool. Now,
using the new PIC X libraries should have fixed the
linking-static-code-into-.so-raries problem, but on certain
architectures (m68k, mips, s390, mipsel, and arm, at least), libtool
disagrees:

*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by
-lXxf86dga_pic.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by
-lXxf86vm_pic.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lXv_pic.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module libsmpeg_xmms.  Therefore, libtool will
create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.

Now, I only have direct access to i386 and hppa boxes, which both
frustratingly work perfectly with smpeg-xmms, so I can't fix this
easily. Does anybody have any idea how to force libtool to make .so
files? Is it possible to fix this any other way?

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

Please encrypt email sent to me.