Re: .dsc not generated during package build?

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 02:04:53PM -0800, Yves Arrouye wrote:

> > > Whilst building my package, I get (from dpkg-dev 1.9.18, debhelper
> > 3.0.51):
> >
> > What command did you run to do this?  What you probably meant was
> > dpkg-buildpackage.
>
> I did use dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
> Here's more of the log:
>
> if test -d build -a build != source; then rm -f -r build; fi
>  dpkg-source -b icu
> dpkg-source: warning: source directory `./icu' is not
> <sourcepackage>-<upstreamversion> `icu-2.0'
> dpkg-source: building icu in icu_2.0-1.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: building icu in icu_2.0-1.dsc

Why is icu a Debian native package?

>  debian/rules build
>
> but the icu_2.0-1.dsc is not created at all.
>
> If I go to a properly named directory (my mistake; I have a properly named
> icu-2.0 and a symlink icu -> 2.0/icu-2.0 to get there, and usually work from
> the symlink; somehow the scripts see the name icu, not icu-2.0 after I cd'ed
> there w/ zsh) then it works:

Interesting; it looks like dpkg-buildpackage passed 'icu' to dpkg-source as
the directory name, and dpkg-buildpackage gets the directory name directly
from running pwd, at least in the current version.  What happens when you
run /bin/pwd in that directory?  It should definitely show .../icu-2.0, not
.../icu.

> if test -d build -a build != source; then rm -f -r build; fi
>  dpkg-source -b icu-2.0
> dpkg-source: building icu in icu_2.0-1.tar.gz
>
> So why is dpkg-source just issuing a warning instead of failing if it really
> cannot do anything? Is it looking at $CWD instead of finding out the real
> location (zsh messes up w/ $CWD).

Since it was trying to tar up 'icu' (which is a symlink) for whatever
reason, it may be that dpkg-source tried to create a tarfile containing only
that.  dpkg-source just does a "tar cf -", so symlinks would not be
followed.  I could see how that might have caused some confusion.
I agree that an error should have been reported somewhere during this
process if a .dsc was not created, so if you can track down where the
problem is, there may be a bug report in it.

--
 - mdz