Re: [Evms-devel] EVMS: shared libraries with unversioned sonames

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:55:52PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Wichert Akkerman
>
> | Previously Kevin Corry wrote:
> | > Could the "ldconfig" call be added to the top-level Makefile "install"
> | > target?
> |
> | No, since you might not be installing on a real system but a temporary
> | location to build a package or for some other reason. Also if you
> | are not running as root but with fakeroot ldconfig will fail.
>
> In which case «ldconfig -n $libdir» should work just fine.

But ldconfig is something only available on GNU/Linux system, and clearly
the wrong tool for the job.

Sure, evms seems only to be available on GNU/Linux, too.  But just because
it happens to work by chance it is no excuse to do the wrong thing.  People
might take it as an example and use it in their own software, where it
doesn't work (on GNU/Hurd, and other systems).

I have never understood why some people want to use ldconfig -n in package
builds.  ldconfig is a tool that enhances the systems run time loader on
GNU/Linux, not the compilers linker.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de