Re: Is Sid for broken stuff? Is it too much to ask for testing the packages?

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 10:11:36AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> anyone running postgres (or other db package) on a production server
> would be crazy not to have the same version installed on a workstation
> or test machine just so that they can test that the upgrade works
> *before* applying it to their production server.  this is necessary
> whether they run stable or testing or unstable.

Suggestion: have a warning *before* installation that it is going
to be a major upgrade, and give a list of things the
user can do before proceeding to minimize problems. eg:

- test upgrade of same database on non-production machine.
- dump the entire database to a file, manually, before proceeding.
  visually check this file to make sure it looks OK, and doesn't
  have important stuff missing.
- etc.

When I last had problems upgrading a postgresql database, it
would have helped if I had a manual dump of the database.

(note: the database didn't contain any important information; so I
didn't actually loose anything as a result).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>