Bits from tetex maintainers (Re: Accepted tetex-bin ...)

From: Julian Gilbey <jdg@polya.uklinux.net>
Subject: Re: Accepted tetex-bin 1.0.7+20021025-5 (i386 source)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:24:38 +0000

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 07:33:28PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> >
> > Does that mean that while this is transitionging, some things will break ?
> >
> > ls /etc/texmf/texmf.d/
> > 05TeXMF.cnf      20xmltex         65BibTeX.cnf     85Misc.cnf
> > 15Plain.cnf      45TeXinputs.cnf  70dvipsj         95NonPath.cnf
> > 20ptex           55Fonts.cnf      75DviPS.cnf      96passivetex
>
> Oh dear, erm, yes, probably.

We sent email on this change before uploading 1.0.7+20021025-5
version to the maintainers of related packages as far as we know.

I believe that the change will make possible damage
smaller if it is done as fast as possible, and this change
will provide maintainers and/or users much choices to create
backup of files.

By the way, I guess this is a good chance to announce
the basic packaging policy of TeX related packages, so
let me have a chance to suggest unofficial but hopefully
useful guidelines (apart from broken English ;)

---------------------------------------
Filenames of files in /etc/texmf/texmf.d/

  They should be, for example 34foo.cnf, that is, with only lower case letters.
  Upper case was reserved only for tetex-bin.  This is not "must" condition
  but this will make it easy for a user to find which files are basic and
  which are additional.
  They should be configuration files but not conffiles.  If not, even after
  removing your package, unnecessary entries will remain in texmf.cnf, so
  this is critical.  And you should rename them at removing and should
  remove them at purging (and then, of course, you should run update-texmf).

* Remark: filenames of files in /etc/texmf/texmf.d/ was changed
    since tetex-bin 1.0.7+20021025-5.
    For example we renamed 05TeXMF to 05TeXMF.cnf

    If your package aleready provided file(s) in /etc/texmf/texmf.d/
    without '.cnf' for tetex-bin 1.0.7+20021025-4 or former, then you
    should move it/them to file(s) with extension '.cnf' in preinst.

Filenames of files in /etc/texmf/fmt.d/

  They should be, for example, 34foofmt.cnf
  They should be configuration files but not conffiles.  If not, even after
  removing your package, unnecessary entries will remain in fmtutil.cnf, so
  this is critical.  And you should rename them at removing and should
  remove them at purging (and then, of course, you should run update-fmtutil).

[At present, alml, dvipsk-ja, jadetex, jbibtex-bin, jtex-bin, multex-bin,
passivetex, ptex-bin, ptex-jtex, xmltex will be relevant to the issue
update-texmf and/or update-fmtutil.  If there are any more packages, please
let us know.]

Don't use /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config directory.

  /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config is not a directory but a symlink of
  /etc/texmf/dvips created with tetex-base so if you create a directory
  /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config and put file(s) there, it will break
  tetex-base installation afterwards.
  You should put files in /etc/texmf/dvips instead.

Don't use /usr/share/texmf/doc directory.

  it is a symlink of /usr/share/doc/texmf too and in the similar situation
  as above.

Use mktexlsr rather than texhash.

  this might be one's preference but texhash might be obsolete, I guess.

This is definitely not official guideline nor policy of
tetex-maintainer team but only my private idea yet but
I hope this will help maintainers.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,		     2002/12/13

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>