Re: Is Sid for broken stuff? Is it too much to ask for testing the packages?

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 00:08, Marek Habersack wrote:
> Another case of an untested package. Going back to postgres - apparently the
> maintainer "has no time" to test upgrades from earlier formats of the
> database to the latest format.

Nearly correct.

I can test from the last version to the current one, and I do.  I have
not uploaded packages that I haven't installed, as you seem to think.

But a full test would test 6.5.3 in multiple Debian versions to 7.3
And 7.0release-x to 7.3
And 7.1
And 7.2.1 (current stable)
And 7.2.2
And 7.2.3
And all the imtermediate releases I haven't mentioned
And different combinations of binary packages
And all of the above in multiple locales and encodings and using tape
backup in postgresql-dump (I don't have a working tapedrive - I wonder
if anyone has ever used that facility?) and multi-gigabyte databases and
in all possible combinations of circumstances that the config and
postinsts test for.

So no, I don't have the time.  If there's anyone who does, please
contact me.  In the meantime, I have to settle for installing the new
packages and seeing if they work for me.

Incidentally, why did you delete postgresql.env? or how did it get
deleted?

     "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your
      heart, all ye that hope in the LORD."
                                  Psalms 31:24